- Please note that we accept only computer based PowerPoint presentations. Slide/Overhead/VCR projectors will NOT be available. To ensure your presentation runs smoothly, please submit your presentation at the Speakers Preview Room at least 4 hours prior to your presentation.
An AV technician will be available to assist you and to load the PPT presentations prior to the start of the sessions.
Please click here to download the PPT template including the tips.
- Make sure slides are legible.
– Use a sans serif typeface such as Helvetica or Arial.
– Avoid using anything smaller than 24 pt font.
- Keep the slides simple
– Keep title to one line.
– Test slides for legibility and contrast.
- Include your contact information and website URL on the final slide.
- Language: All presentations must be in English.
- Check spelling using spell check programme or a proofreader.
All presentations are held in Microsoft PowerPoint on a PC running Windows. If you are using software other than Microsoft PowerPoint on a PC running Windows (e.g. OpenOffice, PowerPoint for MAC, Keynote) please make sure your presentation is converted to Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows PCs before you travel to the Congress.
Presentations in Acrobat PDF format or WORD format will not be accepted.
Computer projection will be available. Neither slide (35mm) projections nor personal laptops (MAC and PC) can be used in the Congress session rooms. A single computerised system will manage all projections and will send the presentations to the assigned Congress rooms automatically. This tried and tested method guarantees easier management, high quality projection and a quicker, smoother running of the presentations.
In the Speaker Preview Room, a technician helps the speaker to transfer his or her presentation into the central congress network. When the transfer is complete, the technician performs a quick run of the presentation with the speaker to check whether the presentation runs correctly and all parts of the presentation are copied.
Desktop computers will be available at the speakers’ secretariat for any last minute changes and to review presentations.
No more changes can be made inside the session room where the session will take place.
In each session room, a technical assistant starts each presentation at the right time using the computer connected to the central congress network. When the presentation is launched, the speaker has control and can navigate with a remote device.
- During the Congress, presentations will run on PowerPoint 2010 with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels.
- Your presentation should be prepared in PowerPoint 2003, 2007 or 2010.
- Preferred page setup is landscape orientation with high-contrast lettering and readable fonts (minimum font size = 24).
- Use high-contrast colours: light text on dark background or vice versa.
- A maximum of 7 lines / slide and 5 words / line will improve the communication value of your slide.
- PowerPoint presentations on USB memory stick (preferred medium) disk or CD Rom must be delivered at the Speaker Preview Room at least two hours before the beginning of the session.
Suggestions to improve a PowerPoint presentation
- In general: the smaller your PowerPoint presentation (in size) the easier it is to handle it.
- Any movie/image file must be in the same folder of the PowerPoint presentation and must be copied in the folder before being included in the presentation. (1) Alternatively use «Pack and go» or «Package to CD/DVD/USB» in PowerPoint. For ease of possible assistance if there is a problem with your movies (not playing on standard machines because codec’s under which the movie was recorded are unknown and not installed on standard machines) we recommend that you do not use the new feature in PowerPoint 2010 to EMBED the movies in your presentation. We advise a LINK to the movie file instead.
- We suggest putting a maximum of one movie per slide.
- The following media are recommended to facilitate the presentation download at the Slide Centre: USB memory sticks (preferred medium), CD-ROMs and DVD. It is also possible to download the presentation from a personal laptop at the Slide Centre, provided that the speaker stops at the Slide Centre at least two hours before the beginning of the session.
- Only single projection is available in the Congress rooms.
- Please do not use timer controlled transitions. Timer controlled transitions are transitions that will switch to the next slide after x seconds or minutes. This will interfere with our cue light system and confuse you during your talk.
- Do NOT save the picture as BMP or TIFF (size is too big).
- Images with .gif and .jpg extensions are recommended to obtain a light presentation (other kinds of extensions – recognisable by PowerPoint – will be accepted all the same).
- Save the pictures used in your presentation on your CD, DVD or USB-stick (In case of problems we can re-insert the original).
- Movies must not exceed 50 MB each (50 MB is not necessarily the limit, we can handle larger movies without any problems but the video may not present smoothly). Always bring your movies on DVD or other support, and inform the technicians at the Speakers’ Preview Room the day before the presentation.
- MPG (MPEG), WMV or AVI are the only acceptable video formats.
- When using videos in (Apple) QuickTime: convert them to MPG or AVI before inserting the video in your presentation. QuickTime (MOV, MP4) cannot be played in PowerPoint and therefore are not accepted.Save the videos used in your presentation on your USB-stick CD or DVD (In case of problems we can re-insert the original).
- If you use hyperlinks to websites in your presentations, please download the website to your USB-stick CD or DVD. Try to avoid too many different folders on the medium.
- Save the graphics or spreadsheets (Excel) used in your presentation on your USB-stick CD or DVD. if you experience any problems we can re-insert the original graphics or spreadsheets.
- Try to avoid the use of non-Standard Windows fonts. If you are using specific, non- Standard Windows fonts (or if you are using Apple fonts not known on Standard Windows) then include the fonts you have used on your USB-stick CD or DVD.
- Please give your filename an extension “.PPT”.
- Check your presentation on a Windows (preferably Win7 with PowerPoint 2010) machine before you bring it to the Congress. This will avoid unecessary stress onsite.
Always try the medium with your presentation on another PC before bringing it to the Congress and as always make an extra copy of your USB or CD/DVD.
Example: Create the folder «PRESENTATION» and copy the necessary files for the presentation in it; then create the PowerPoint presentation including the films that were in the «presentation» folder. Finally save everything in the «presentation» folder.
To avoid it, follow this procedure: Select the slide where you wish to insert the film, then the «Films and sounds…» item in the «insert» menu. Now click on «Film from file…». Select the desired film and press the button «OK». To the question «do you want to reproduce the film during the presentation automatically?» answer «YES».
Always try the CD on another PC before you bring it to the Congress.
PRINT THIS PAGE
Page last modified: